Umlauts work great in HTML in you use encoding UTF-8

Don't forget

in your markup to make the IDE respect it.

an additional

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

at the beginning of the markup will not hurt.

Eventually set the encoding of your project files in your IDE to be UTF-8, too.

Set wickets default request / response encoding to UTF-8.

Properties files can either be XML or raw text files. For example IDEA supports
converting umlauts into escape sequences compatible with ISO-8859-1 which is
the default encoding for .properties. So I can use .properties files there and
type umlauts without caring.

No need to use entities for umlauts like

&auml;
&ssharp;

and such.

If you take care of all these little things it just works.