Hi Erik,

you can override a factory method in a tree subclass:

            @Override
protected Component newContentComponent(String id, IModel<Foo> model)
            {
                return new Folder<Foo>(id, this, model) {
                    protected IModel<?> newLabelModel(IModel<Foo> model)
                    {
// decide how to render each foo, e.g. use a property model
                        return new PropertyModel<String>(model, "bar");
                    }
                };
            }

Have fun