On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Martijn Dashorst <
martijn.dasho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While we strive to keep binary compatibility between minor releases,
> i.e. the z releases of an x.y.z release path, sometimes things slip
> by. In principle we only allow security or blocker issues to break the
> API in a .z release. So we strive to make the upgrade path of 1.4.0 to
> 1.4.16 to be just a version number change, with an API surface the
> size of Wicket's it is nigh impossible to achieve 100% binary
> compatiblity between all minor releases (.z releases).
>
> If the speaker is talking about the y part, then yes we allow
> breakages and possibly even large ones. But those are always fairly
> easy to upgrade.
>
> The upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 was mainly generics: a painful upgrade,
> but worth the effort. It could've been a x release, but we only
> modified the type parameter, and the rest of the API was only changed
> to support the generification. We voted upon the release number and
> with our previous 2.0 fiasco still in memory we decided to up the y
> part only.
>
> With Wicket 1.5 we improved the internals considerably, and improved
> the API as well. The upgrade path is detailed in our migration guide
> in the wiki. The upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5 should be not too much work.
>
> I'd rather have a framework that breaks some API in minor ways with
> each .y release, than a stagnant framework that is afraid to improve
> on its API and internals.
>
> +1

Such an API gives way to a utility library that makes up for the stagnation,
taking experience into account on a higher level.  Thereby it effectively
becomes the API itself.

In my experience, .z wicket upgrades are a no-brainer, the .y upgrade I've
seen gave me a working build in a day; remaining upgrade steps (deprecation
/ generification) can be dealt with when touching the code for new
development.

cheers, Frank