Hi.

I know there could be many ways of achieving that . But i would do this.

I would create my component. e.g TextField<String> username = new
TextField<String>("username");

Then add validators to the textfield. e.g username.setRequired(true) ; //add
the wicket validators e.g email validators,StringValidators etc

then add a tooltip if the field is valid

eg. if (username.isValid()){
         username.add(new BeautyTipBehavior(username.getFeedbackMessage()).
setPositionPreference(TipPosition.left)));
     }

 The BeautyTipBehavior is from visural-wicket project  see
http://wicket.visural.net/examples/app/tooltips

NOTE: the code above is for illustration purposes. It may not be correct.

Hope you get the idea.

Josh.