Hi jcgarciam,
I have made sure that my original class Parent does implement class
Identifiable<Serializable> and I have now modified EntityModel<T> to public
class EntityModel<T> extends AbstractEntityModel<Parent> {. That got rid the
error message.  So that's great. Thanks!
I will try to have it running later on during the day.

Why does AbstractEntityModel class on
http://wicketinaction.com/2008/09/building-a-smart-entitymodel/
http://wicketinaction.com/2008/09/building-a-smart-entitymodel/  uses
Serializable id, when later on,  under "Using EntityModel to bind to Forms"
it is passing a value of type Long to initialise the EntityModel class?
Based on the example of the EntityModel.load() function, should I change my
WicketApplication.get().get_service().load(clazz, id) to accept Serialisable
instead of Long?
Maybe I'm missing something basic here. But your suggestion helped to get
past the initial hurdle.