Fow new projects I would really consider to use html5 header:
<!DOCTYPE html>

Not only it is the most up to date but it turns browsers and IE8, 9 into
strict mode and IE6, 7 into almost strict mode [1]. So it gets the best out
from the http clients: none of them is using quirks mode with it.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode#Comparison_of_document_types

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode#Comparison_of_document_types>
Attila