Hi Per,
You are spot on! Thanks.
I'm creating a add/edit form and what I was initialising the event object in
two places:
public class CreateEvent extends Panel {

        private Event event = new Event();
       public GenericEventCreatePanel(String id, Long eventId){
            super(id, new LoadableEventModel(eventId));
            Event eventFromDB = (Event) this.getDefaultModel().getObject();
        if ( eventFromDB == null ){
                        event = new Event(EventDetailValues);
        }else{
                event = eventFromDB;

I will modify it so that event object is initialized once and if it is an
event for edit (LoadableEventModel finds the event in DB), then I will copy
each field individually.

Thanks for your help.