I'm missing some fundamental concept here I think.

I've got an AutoCompleteTextField whose model I put as the same kind as in
the example found here:
http://wicketstuff.org/wicket14/ajax/autocomplete.0;jsessionid=635817B09A5AC9E57C5553053D9C090F?wicket:bookmarkablePage=sources:org.apache.wicket.examples.source.SourcesPage&SourcesPage_class=org.apache.wicket.examples.ajax.builtin.AutoCompletePage
Wicket Ajax Examples
On the left column, click "AutoCompletePage.java" if you want to see the
code I'm referencing.

They are just using the Model class as the TextField's model, passing in a
string to it. They then set a label's model to be
autoComplete.getDefaultModel so that whatever the autoCompleteTextField's
model is, the label's model also is.

I did just this in my program, but the autoCompleteTextField's model and
thus my label's model is not changing when I type something into the field.
So my question is, what in the wicket framework causes setObject to be
called on a component's model so that it changes? Is that up to us to
determine? If that's so, how does the example code above use a regular old
Model without overriding get/setObject and still manage to change the model
to reflect what's typed in?

Here that example code  http://wicketstuff.org/wicket14/ajax/autocomplete.0
in action

Thanks,