All,

I think I have this resolved, at least no problems so far.

There were many things that I needed to add:
1) Within server.xml, I added proxyName and proxyPort to the 8080 connector.
I found this in the Tomcat documentation "When you are running behind a
proxy server (or a web server that is configured to behave like a proxy
server), you will sometimes prefer to manage the values returned by these
calls. In particular, you will generally want the port number to reflect
that specified in the original request, not the one on which the Connector
itself is listening. You can use the proxyName and proxyPort attributes on
the <Connector> element to configure these values."

I also added a NEW connector at 8443 for https support. I found that
request.getScheme and similar code was returning incorrect values. To solve
this, this connector should have the value scheme="https".

Here are the new connectors:

<Connector protocol="HTTP/1.1" port="8080" address="${jboss.bind.address}"
connectionTimeout="20000" proxyName="myserver.com" proxyPort="80"/>

<Connector protocol="HTTP/1.1" port="8443" address="${jboss.bind.address}"
connectionTimeout="20000" proxyName="myserver.com" proxyPort="443"
scheme="https" />

2) A mistake I made was putting myserver.com within the ProxyPass and
ProxyPassReverse. This was a mistake because this address was not valid for
port 8080 as my firewall was blocking it. My firewall only allows 80 and
443. I change these values to localhost. Additionally, the VirtualHost for
443 should point to 8443- the new connector created above.

Additionally, the myapp is removed entirely (see the next point for the
reasons).

The httpd.conf I have now is as follows:

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName myserver.com:80

        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerName myserver.com:443

        SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/server.key
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/server.crt

        ProxyPass / http://localhost:8443/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8443/

        #Cookie stuff- untested for now
        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPassReverseCookiePath / /
</VirtualHost>

3) Finally, my war file that I deploy needs to be called ROOT.war. From the
Jboss documentation "The only special case to this naming special name ROOT.
To deploy an application under the root context, you simply name it
ROOT.war. JBoss already contains a ROOT.war web application in the
jbossweb.sar directory. You will need to remove or rename that one to create
your own root application." Renaming it ROOT removes the myapp in the url
within wicket.

I hope this helps any one else trying to setup in a similar way. As I first
thought, it wasnt anything in wicket. Thank you all for your help.