On 07/20/2011 10:03 AM, Martin Grigorov wrote:
Hi Richard,

With the serialization optimizations you optimize only the second and
third level stores, i.e. the runtime memory is still the almost same.
You'll gain only if you have bigger second level cache which is used
when the user uses browser back button. And I think this is no so
often.
Just a thought and maybe a little off topic,
What if, when a Page is first generated, when it is first
loaded given its class, prior to use, the Page is serialized and
the bytes are put into a cache Map from class name to bytes.
Then, subsequent times the page is request (same session or
different session), it is found in the cache and simply
de-serialized.
Would it work?
Would it be better (choose some criteria)?
Thanks

About Scala vs. Java consciousness: I guess you read this thread -
http://groups.google.com/group/scala-user/browse_thread/thread/ea4d4dda2352a523#
Here and in the previous thread on this topic the functional guys
suggest solutions which I think are not that easy to read and as
proven the speed is far from the imperative solution. Oderski explains
it well in his response.
Ha. Yea, I have been following that discussion.
I tend to write OO-Scala and not FP-Scala.
Partly because that is the way my mind works but also
because if FP was so great, Lisp would have ended the discussion
(or may Haskell would have) and all enterprise applications would
be written in Lisp - but, of course, if you search the IBM/Oracle/SAP
sites you don't find any Lisp enterprise applications for sale
(ok, having said this, someone will find one, I admit defeat, etc.).
Also, its a lot easier to understand, debug and log OO vs FP code
(but, again, that is just my enterprise application development
background speaking).

About the questions - the simple answer is that a Component can have
just one parent, so it is not possible to reuse it neither in the same
page nor in different page. The same is true about its collection of
children. This is the current state.
Well, I guess the immutable Component would have to have a mutable
parent reference.

Thanks
Richard
--