Let me simplify my original question.  If in the past I could do this:

getRequest().getPage().getPageMap().remove()

a) What was the practical purpose of removing page maps from sessions (i.e.,
this API existed for a purpose - what was it)?
b) What do I do in 1.5 to accomplish the same thing now that PageMaps are
gone?

I suspect this has something to do with back button support and page
history.  This wiki page
(https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/caching-in-wicket-15.html) discusses
caching, true.  I guess what I'm looking for is a discussion of PageManager
(the replacement for PageMaps).  How does this work in 1.5?

-Doug