Yeah. It's mystic. I couldn't find any commit to trunk / release with this change.
In Jira issue is really open. But i really used an unpatched 1.5.0 version
with SpringBean proxy available. Maybe it was accidently in 1.5.0 :-)

I've use as a workaround wicket-spring 1.5.0 with wicket-core excluded.
It seems to work so far.

Mike
Since you ask... https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-3936 has
never been applied, neither RC, nor 1.5.0, nor 1.5.1
It is still open.

I think we should keep all our -ioc implementations in sync. So if
this feature is applied for Spring then it should be applied for Guice
as well. But I guess this should be discussed further.