Finally solved it:

had a choice renderer

new ChoiceRenderer<DocumentDto>() {
  public Object getDisplayValue(DocumentDto object) {
    return object.getDocumentType();

which apparently messed things up

changed it to new ChoiceRenderer("documentType", "documentId") and
everything works fine

overriding getIdValue also works!

Have a nice weekend

From:
Wolfgang Schreiner/AUT/CSC@CSC
To:
users@wicket.apache.org
Date:
30.09.2011 13:26
Re: How to update a palette?

What do you mean by "refresh"? I apply "setOutputMarkupId" on the palette
and add it to the Ajax request target.

This is how I thought it should work, apparently I missed something ...

final ListModel types = loadChoicesFromDB();
final ListModel selectedTypes = new ListModel(new ArrayList());
final Palette palette = new Palette("palette", selectedTypes, types ... );
palette.setOutputMarkupId(true);
final DropDownChoice profiles = ...
profiles.add(new AjaxComponentUpdatingBehavior("onchange") {
  public void onUpdate(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
    Integer profileId = profiles.getModelObject().getProfileId();
    // selectedTypes.detach();
    selectedTypes.setObject(loadSelectedTypesFromDB(profileId));
    target.add(palette);
  }
});