Thanks for the pointer to using request mappers and the continuing updates to
WicketInAction which are very useful.

After some more work I've then solved my next problem of returning an 'on
the fly' XML response using extended ResourceReference & ByteArrayResource
classes. This is also very different to the solution in 1.4 where I overrode
URIRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy.decode() returning a new
ResourceStreamRequestTarget.

Can you suggest a way of understanding the relationships of these many
classes and the best way of  choosing a solution? I apologise for such an
open question but at the moment I seem to spend a long time Googling until I
get a hint of a way forward.