What is the best way to calculate the connection speed or request speed
for a wicket application from the server side?

I can use the request process onBeginRequest and onEndRequest, that will
give me the time it takes to process a request on the server, but I am
still missing:

I need:

1. Processing time on server (I guess I can use onEndRequest -
onBeginRequest time)
2. Download file size for ajax request?  (how can I find this
information)
3. Possibly use some kind of additional ajax hook on the client side to
respond when a download/request has completed (this will tell me how
long the requests take)