I had a similar problem. After trying many things the only solution was
to do as the devs suggested: make sure the ModalWindow that opens the
modal with the form in it is ITSELF in a form. Not sure why this is the
only way to get modal forms with DatePickers working on IE 8 - it just
is.

We fixed this in the Wicketstuff ModalX framework by setting up n
ModalWindowS each enclosed in a form - all set up in your base page
class. This ensures that every page in your app has available at any
time n 'already form wrapped' ModalWindowS to you. N is chosen by the
developer to be the maximum number of nested forms that you will ever
need. 2-3 is fine for most apps. 3 is good because it allows nesting to
2 levels of modals + 1 for an extra ModalX MessageBox if required to
alert the user while on the 2 form.