It sounds like you have a lot of layers/scaffolding (=high maintenance)
in your design.

The "exposed domain model" pattern was created to avoid all those extra
layers (especially DAOs and DTOs) in recognition of the fact that for
most applications they *feel* redundant and *seem* like code
duplication.

I understand the puritan goals that bring about the adoption of DTOs but
IMHO introducing them forms a slippery slope to "productivity
impedance".

We adopted the Exposed Domain Model (EDM) pattern with "Open
[Session|PersistenceManager] In View" many years ago and haven't created
a DAO or DTO since - and development has been easier, faster and more
maintainable since.

EDM still does provide for Respositories (object search, looks ups,
etc., - where your queries reside) and Services (where you orchestrate
non trivial model changes, updates) but for the most part if the UI is
simply CRUDing a model object we expose that model object and let it
call the setters and getters directly.

We even allow some trivial persistent objects to be instantiated
directly by the UI where that is appropriate. With 'persistence by
reachability' (we use JDO - JPA might also have this) it's not even
necessary to call persist() on the newly constructed instances if they
are reachable by at least one already persisted object.

In certain cases where instantiation of an object graph must be
orchestrated according to some business rules or some constraints
implicit in the model we do either of the following:

1. make the domain class' constructors private and force instantiation
to take place via a static method on the particular class.

2. make the domain class' constructors protected and force instantiation
to take place via a Service provided for the package in which the new
class exists.

It's been working flawlessly for us and our domain model now has over
300 persistent classes. I doubt we would have been able to grow it this
fast if we had the extra development burden of developing and creating
DAO and DTO classes on the way. Also the code base would probably be
close to double what it is today.

Having let our hair down this much we must state that we still are 100%
puritan when it comes to separation of Model and Presentation layer. The
model itself has ZERO dependencies on any UI code and can be compiled
completely independently of the UI.

guice-persist).

>which
>layer)