Hey Dan, sorry for the late reply and thanks for your suggestion.

If it is necessary with ajax for a good solution, I'm not fanatic in
resisting it. I would prefer to wrap it in a reusable wicket component,
thou, and I have not yet figured out to do this.

It seems that depending on
http://benalman.com/projects/jquery-resize-plugin/ Ben Alman's jQuery resize
event  might save a bit of coding and avoid minding custom js code to the
window's resize event.

I have tried to use various WiQuery classes to implement it with no success.
Just recently I became aware of the  AjaxLazyLoadPanel class, and my current
idea is to override the protected void handleCallbackScript(final
IHeaderResponse response, final String callbackScript) method to make a
script that also provides the size for the first rendering cycle. I'm a bit
stuck on how to construct the js callbackScript, thou.

If someone has a pointer on how to get started on this I would appreciate
it. Otherwise I will post the solution when I finally work one out. It may
take a while as this is a "nice-to-have" feature in the current project I'm
working on and I rarely have time to throw after it,