On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Pointbreak
<pointbreak+wicketst...@ml1.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 09:49, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Pointbreak
>> <pointbreak+wicketst...@ml1.net> wrote:

>> > I believe the OP's question was for use-cases were Wickets default
>> > behaviour would be preferred over using a strategy like NoVersionMount.
>> > But if I understood that incorrectly, it's now my question  ;-).
>> > Imho
>> > the natural behaviour a user expects for a page-refresh is a fresh
>> > up-to-date version of the page. This is exactly what NoVersionMount does
>> > as it forces a newly constructed page for a refresh. For OP's (Chris
>> > Colman's) shopping card example this seems perfectly reasonable
>> > behaviour.
>>
>> it is undesirable in applications that perform navigation using ajax
>> panel swapping. in this case a page-refresh will essentially take you
>> back to the homepage.
>
> Fair enough
>
>> > I have never had to build a website were it was a problem when the ajax
>> > state was lost on page refresh.
>>
>> but you also have not built every wicket application...
>
> Obviously... to be honest, for your use case (one page ajax application
> that performs navigation by swapping page components) I have always
> chosen other frameworks, that are (imho) better suited for these
> usecases.
>
>> > When wicket shows older versions of a
>> > page (e.g. due to back button, bookmarking older versions, etc.), you
>> > have to be really careful with how a page version and a model interact
>> > to not run into trouble. You also loose bookmarkability of such pages
>> > (in the web-browser sense, not in the wicket-sense).
>>
>> you also lose it if the user bookmarks the page after they click
>> something on a bookmarkable page... so stripping the version off
>> initial entry is not fixing the problem entirely.
>
> I don't see this. They always get an up-to-date version of the page they
> bookmarked, as it is always freshly constructed.

suppose i go to /foo
i think click some twistie link that expands some info section, and in
process redirects me to /foo?1
at this point i think this page is useful and i bookmark it
so i still have the version number in my bookmark.

in fact, the only way i dont have a version number is if i bookmark
without clicking anything on the page. i dont know how often that
happens compared to bookmarking after at least one click on something
in the page

-igor