My unit tests construct the WicketTester in the setUp method. I also extend WicketTester so that I can mock our database-driven content system and Spring Application Context (wicket provides a mock for this: http://wicket.apache.org/apidocs/1.5/org/apache/wicket/spring/test/ApplicationContextMock.html). This page talks about extending WicketTester: https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/testing-pages.html

Tom