Here is a new JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4755

I added the following code in my application class to implement what
you recommended as a fix. Maybe this will help other people who run
into this problem. Does this look good to you?

    @Override
    protected IConverterLocator newConverterLocator() {
        ConverterLocator locator = (ConverterLocator)
super.newConverterLocator();
        locator.set(Object.class, new BasicConverter());
        locator.set(Serializable.class, new BasicConverter());
        return locator;
    }

    private static class BasicConverter implements IConverter
    {
        @Override
        public Object convertToObject(String value, Locale locale) {
            return value;
        }

        @Override
        public String convertToString(Object value, Locale locale) {
            return value == null ? null : value.toString();

Thanks,

Alec