I use the simplest of setups - embedded Jetty in a Java main method, and run
from within Eclipse in debug mode. I just point the root directory to my
local project files, and off I go. No  buggy plug-ins, or configuration -
just plain old Java.

Means you can edit java files and they automatically hotswap and
resources automatically
update. Can post the code up later, if you want? (although there are plenty
of examples on the web).

I usually have two versions - one that runs in the maven 'test' directories and
uses the 'test' configuration and another that runs in the 'main' directories
and uses the deployment configuration.