Just use a regular TextField and toggle its enabled status in the Ajax
callback handler.  Be sure to refresh the element (target.add(
yourTextComponent ) ); or the containing form if you have multiple
components to toggle.

For custom bindings, take a look at AbstractDefaultAjaxBehavior and
its subclasses (In Wicket 6.0 - might be called the same in earlier
versions)