Does the cookie come with the session id inside? I'm not sure this works
this way - the value of the session id will most likely be wrong for a
request one month after the last time the application was used even though
the cookie itself is still valid; the session will just not exist any more
on the server (unless you told tomcat / whatever to preserve sessions that
long ;d).
But you may be right - maybe the server can check if there is _any_ cookie
to know the client supports them. When cookies come with the first request,
it is the same as if it were the nth request in a series - the server can't
know that. That's what sessions are for ;d

wujek