Hi,

if I paste your code into BeginnersTreePage from wicket-examples:

            @Override
protected Component newContentComponent(String id, IModel<Foo> node)
            {
                return new StyledLinkLabel<Foo>(id, node)
                {

                    @Override
                    protected String getStyleClass()
                    {
                        return "treeIcon";
                    }

                };
            }

... it works as expected.

Now I get a link without markup followed by the icon and the text from the model

Please check your markup in the containing component/page. Perhaps a tag isn't
properly closed?

Sve