Many thanks for your help.

This is what I have done:

public class YUICalendarCssResourceReference extends CssResourceReference {

        public YUICalendarCssResourceReference() {
                super(YUICalendarCssResourceReference.class, "yui.css");
        }

        public Iterable<? extends HeaderItem> getDependencies() {
                List<HeaderItem> dependencies = new ArrayList<HeaderItem>();
                dependencies.add(CssHeaderItem.forReference(new
CssResourceReference(YuiLib.class,
"calendar/assets/skins/sam/calendar.css")));

                return dependencies;

And then in my page:
        @Override
        public void renderHead(IHeaderResponse response) {
                super.renderHead(response);
                response.render(CssHeaderItem.forReference(APP_CSS)); //my css
file
                response.render(CssHeaderItem.forReference(new
YUICalendarCssResourceReference()));
        }

Where yui.css is my custom css
Firstly is the above correct?

The result is that in the source the .css files appear correctly.
However, visually it does not work. Looking at Firebug I have the following
css files loaded:
1) app-ver-xxxx.css
2)
wicket/resource/org.apache.wicket.extensions.yui.YuiLib/calendar/assets/skins/sam/calendar-ver-1356690284000.css
3) yui-ver-xxxx.css
4)
wicket/resource/org.apache.wicket.extensions.yui.YuiLib/calendar/assets/skins/sam/calendar.css

My understanding is that the 4th css file should not be loaded there.