You can:

1) Extend the java class and override its HTML mark-up by preserving the
wicket:id component tree in your own markup
    Then in your own java you can call setVisible(false) or replace it with
an empty panel
2) Analyze the HTML for the component:
url("../../wicket/resource/org.apache.wicket.extensions.markup.html.tree.DefaultAbstractTree/res/folder-closed-ver-EA16980AB437FA6BA4ABA3D480E83E9E.gif");"/>
    Notice is using CSS w/ a "icon" class so override that.

~ Thank you,
   Paul Bors