If I understand you right, you’re using it for in-line "style" attribute
whereas the "class" attribute should be used via Cascading Styling Sheets.

I would normally extends a CSS class and make the change I need (in your
example the background-color) and then append that new class name to an
already existing list of classes that are applied my tag.

Hence why a simple AttributeModifier changing the class attribute of a
tag is all you need.
~ Thank you,
   Paul Bors