If you use objects without overriden #equals() and #hashcode() and DropDownChoice you have several options:
1) use a custom ChoiceRenderer
2) override AbstractSingleSelectChoice#getModelValue()
3) make sure the selected choice is the identical object contained in the choices list (e.g. via OpenSessionInView)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4353 might give you more information.

Best regards
Sven