TabbedPanel is a Panel so I don't think that might affect you negative.

And since your drop down changes, you know for sure it is refreshed.
Since it goes back to the default value rather than the one you expected
after you changed the model object you know that something is wrong there.
Maybe the object you set it to is not one of the options?

That's why I was suggesting not using setDefaultModelObject() since that's
not type safe right?
Try grabbing the type safe model, and see if setting its object to one of
the options in the list (pay attention to the choice renderer you're using
too).

~ Thank you,
   Paul Bors