Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Andrew Schetinin <ascheti...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> See inside...
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Martin Grigorov <mgrigo...@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Andrew Schetinin <ascheti...@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > In our case, we had to implement the second option, suitable for our
> > needs
> >
> > Can you explain what do you mean by "suitable for our needs" ?
> > From your message above this phrase it seems RAD/CRUD are something
> > universal that will fit any needs. But then you say _our needs_ ...
> >

> We have a pretty basic framework that allows defining an edit form logic in
> Java without touching any HTML, and the HTML is generated automatically
> from common blocks.
> The idea is basic and universal, but the implementation is relatively
> tightly coupled with the back-end, and making it more generic (or even
> open-sourcing it) requires significant efforts - not something we can do at
> this stage.
>
> This is the reason why there are no such at the moment. Or at least not
> > widely used.
> >

> That's right - it requires a lot of efforts to maintain any framework. From

It is not the maintenance cost the problem.
The reason why these frameworks have been abandoned is because there were
no users for them. Or at least not enough.

> the other side - consider Rails and Grails - they do have to have RAD GUI
> and they are very successful mostly because of that fact.
>
>   - http://isis.apache.org/ (see it Wicket Viewer) (very well maintained.
>
> > have no information how many users it has)
> >

> I considered this one for one of the last projects, but found its
> documentation lacking, and decided it is not enough supported.

The Isis developers are very friendly and they provide fast support in
their mailing lists.
I hope you have told them that you have considered Isis but choose to roll
your own solution because their docs are lacking. Without your feedback it
wont get better by itself ;-)

But even that I know about Isis, and their great support in forums, etc. I
would still prefer to create my own solution for the problem because it
will be much easier for me.

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend