There is the Wicket way of doing thing simple, and then there our own way
of overriding the default behavior of the framework for whatever needs you
might have.

In your case, I think you're overcomplicating things by way too much and
you got yourself in a situation where it involved more work to accomplish
something simple. Your code alone looks a bit too complicated to me for
what is trying to do.

I suggest you step back and list the use-cases you need and then approach
the problem from a different angle.

~ Thank you,
   Paul Bors