Select2's wicket integration should provide you with some pointers [1].

It basically points down to implementing a listener interface, and providing the url to it to your javascript code. You can then return your data when the listener interface's method is called.

[1]
https://github.com/ivaynberg/wicket-select2/blob/master/wicket-select2/src/main/java/com/vaynberg/wicket/select2/AbstractSelect2Choice.java

Met vriendelijke groet,
Kind regards,