FYI:

I had a problem using ComponentRenderer with ListView (it was complaining
the there was no markup for wicket-id "my-wicket-id").

Additionally, ITextRenderer (or xerces actually) was not able to parse XML
from the markup with Wicket tags ("The prefix "wicket" for element
"wicket:container" is not bound.").

I found another solution here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/11898702/536265

Then I added this before rendering:

  IMarkupSettings markupSettings =
component.getApplication().getMarkupSettings();
  boolean originalStripWicketTags = markupSettings.getStripWicketTags();
  markupSettings.setStripWicketTags(true);

And to the finally block:

  markupSettings.setStripWicketTags(originalStripWicketTags);

If you think ComponentRenderer could/should be improved, maybe this will
give you some ideas.