Some more info after further investigation:

The problem is definitely related to tomcat maxPostSize parameter. I have
set this to a very small value (100) and the problem is occurring even in
very small regular (non ajax) form posts.

Debugging this I found that
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.ServletWebRequest.generatePostParameters

calls
Map<String, String[]> params = getContainerRequest().getParameterMap();
and gets a blank params map.

This explains the fact that the form is normally processed and rendered
with null component values.

I am not sure how I can investigate this further. getContainerRequest() is
a tomcat RequestFacade object so this is where I stopped tracing the
execution. Perhaps it's a tomcat bug. I'll go ahead and try with different
tomcat versions.