I have found the issue and I can finally reproduce it!

The issue is similar to what you described. We have a dashboard panel that
has several tabs. Those tabs are ajax tabs. If a user clicks a tab and it
takes a while to load then they click on a link on the current tab while
waiting then you will get a ComponentNotFoundException. I tried to use the
"updateAjaxAttributes" approach by making custom tab links, but that didn't
work. Probably because the link they are clicking on the tab panel itself
does not have that attribute.

My simple solution to this is to just use a regular TabbedPanel instead of
AjaxTabbedPanel. It seems to fix the issue.

Thanks a bunch for your input because it pointed me in the right direction!