Hi,

Create a panel that has a child an image (the busy indicator).
Add a timer behavior to this panel and check whether the slow operation is
done and replace the image with another component that renders the new data:

public void onTimer(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
   Data newData = getNewData();
   if (newData != null)
   {
      NewComponent c = new Component(image.getId(), newData);
      image.replaceWith(c);
      target.add(c);
   }
   else {
     // target.appendJavaScript("still waiting ...");

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting