I tried using your code with wicket 6 and it wasn't working so I'm guessing
you are using something earlier than wicket 6. ByteImageResource could not
be resolved.

I did make a change to the Article class and the TestView class that seemed
to make it work. I changed Article to have a url String instead of storing
the byte array of the image. I think that is better from a design standpoint
as well. But I'll try not to muddy the waters with my design
recommendations. Once I did that I changed the TestView to display the image
like this:

item.add(new Image("thumbImg", new
UrlResourceReference(Url.parse(item.getModelObject().getUrl()))));

Once I did that it seemed to work.