IDataProvider is all about efficiency, it provides efficient access to a subset of the data.

Perhaps we can make it even more efficient with the recent proposal on the @dev list.

Regards
Sven

On 05/08/2014 01:37 PM, Patrick Davids wrote:
Hi all,

what I often think about, and I cannot really say is; when to use Model
or DataProvider as data providing object for components they repeat some
thing?

Javadoc says, DataProvider are (good) for DataViews.
Hmm... ok, and they allow easer iterating (first index, count).

I also can achieve this by using a LoadableDetachableModel<List<>>
combined with a ModelIteratorAdapater.

Both have detaching logic... both featuring extension, both have a sort
of "load"-method (getObject() vs. getData()).

Sometimes I think, they are so similar to each other... where is the key
difference?

Would be cool if some of yours just reply his "two cents" of daily
programming experience... so I can get some new point of views.

When do you use DataProvider or Model<List<>>?
Did you experienced the same, not to exactly know which one you will use
for your new page/panel/component?
And often think about pro and cons using it with RepeatingViews? And
later on, you see... "I could have used both... hmm..."

thanx a lot for feedback and kind regards
Patrick