Hi,

There is a defaultValue  already.
org.apache.wicket.model.StringResourceModel#StringResourceModel(java.lang.String,
org.apache.wicket.Component, org.apache.wicket.model.IModel<?>,
*java.lang.String*, java.lang.Object...)

In Wicket 7 the API is changed to IModel<String> with

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov