Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried to do it as following.  But could not make it work. Obviously I have
no idea what I am doing. I would appreciate very much if you will help me
out here.  Thanks.

        private static class RequiredLabel extends SimpleFormComponentLabel
        {
                private static final long serialVersionUID =
5132250047993256659L;

                //private boolean required;
                FormComponent fc;
                Behavior behaviour;
                boolean behaviourAdded;

                public RequiredLabel(String id, FormComponent fc)
                {
                        super(id, fc);
                        //this.required = fc.isRequired();
                        this.fc = fc;

                        behaviour = new Behavior() {

                                public void onBeforeRender() {
                                        getResponse().write("*");
                                        // Can't remove the previously added
red asterisk
                                }

                                public void beforeRender() {

                                        getResponse().write("*");
                                        // does not add anything.
                            }
                        };
                }

                /*
                @Override
                protected void onComponentTag(ComponentTag tag)
                {
                        super.onComponentTag(tag);
                        if (fc.isRequired()) {
                                getResponse().write("*");