Tobias,

> I think as long as the third party library is not Wicket 7.0 proofed you
> should use it careful. Because of this the migration guide is very useful -
> each framework should be checked when upgrade a major version.

Mind that I'm fully aware of the personal sacrifices some people make to
deliver new versions and improve the framework. So, what I tell bellow is
with full respect to that.

I'm NOT really "complaining" let's say I'm just voicing some concerns from
users. This is the second Wicket application I migrate to Wicket 7.0 in
last two of months. First application was for a customer and we encountered
a few little "surprises", e.g.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Migration+to+Wicket+7.0#MigrationtoWicket7.0-org.apache.wicket.markup.html.panel.FeedbackPanelDonotsetCSSclassontheli
>spanelementforafeedbackmessageWICKET-4831

IMHO changes like this bring no real value and just make migrations less
"stable". Not to mention things like this

https://ci.apache.org/projects/wicket/guide/7.x/guide/componentQueueing.html

 which might have made framework slower (according to certain post on
list). I know that without changes there is no evolution. I'm just telling
that maybe there is a need to make changes more gradually (e.g. deprecate
things) and try to introduce features (if possible) in a way that they can
be "switched off".

Even on OS level there is a requirement note and sometimes API changes have
> impact on applications and their complete compatibility.

IMHO users just expect things to work out of the box. More if they are just
very satisfied with the version of the product they are using and the only
reason they are actually migrating is just to not "fall behind". There was
already something called Wicket 2.0 which was abandoned after a few months
of development because, if I remember correctly, it broke too much previous
version code base. As a user I would like not to experience something
similar anymore.  I haven't tried yet Wicket 8.x but I'm a bit afraid it
might be a bit disruptive for some users/applications. I will want to try
it ASAP and give my modest feedback.

--
Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro