Hi,

The version is intended to be used by the browser for client side caching,
not by Wicket. That's why it is just stripped off by Wicket without any
validation.
Actually if Wicket rejects it then you won't be able to update your
resources in new application versions.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov