It seems that no matter what I put in

JavaScriptHeaderItem.forUrl();

it does not get added to the page when I look at it through the browser
inspector. I tried simply the file name, I've tried a path relative to the
webapp folder (i.e. ...../src/main/webapp/) and it just does not want to get
added. In 1.4.17 this was done with the PackageResourceReference that took
the filename (no path) and OurAjaxButton.class for the scope.

Here is the set up now with 7.3:

We extend AjaxButton, let's just call it OurAjaxButton. It is in
com/ourcom/wicket/ (so ~/projectdir/src/main/java/com/ourcom/wicket/).

I also tried doing "../java/com/ourcom/wicket/OurAjaxButton.js" as the
string. I also tried copying the js files into the js folder in webapp and
doing "js/OurAjaxButton.js" and none of this works. I also tried these three
versions of the filename inside an onInitialize() override and inside a
renderHead() override.

In all cases the browser inspector doesn't show the js files I'm adding as
being on the page (in the <head> section at least), the console shows the
functions in our js file as not existing, and I still get those same
unexpected invocation log messages.