Ha, yeah.  I forgot about that.  I implemented a solution based on that
thread (not exactly the same) but then a bit later it turned out to cause
problems for our web designer, hence me being back.  I ended up using
renderHead() to put out exactly what the web designer needed in the
delivered HTML, yet with only the one HTML tag in the template so that the
parser would work.  So this is resolved for me.

Thanks for everyone's quick responses.