The same steps can be applied for hiding the left panels and displaying them
at will on specific pages but there is problem with the display.

Try turning off the 'display the left column' in
<server>/xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=object&classname=XWiki.XWikiPreferences
and then placing #set($showLeftPanels=1).

Or even the other way round by turning it on and placing
#set($showLeftPanels=1).

A little fine tuning might help a lot... Any suggestions ?

Harikrishnan