On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:05:52 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote
> On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:58 AM, rssh wrote:

> >> It's very simple. You just need to add the MathTool java bean
> >> instance  to the velocity context and you're done! No need for
> >> velocity tools  servlet or stuff like that.
> >>
> >> -Vincent
> >>

> > Yes, but if we want more generalized stuff, than sintuation become a
> > little
> > more complex:
> >
> > I think the 'right way' is to keep somewehere static instance of
> > ToolManager,
> > create and configure one from some well-known path (better
> > configurable) on
> > demand, than in VelocityRendere.prepareContext() merge new-created
> > context
> > with context of ToolManager.
> >
> > (of course, if we want provide standard velocity-tool services,
> > which can be
> > externally configured)
>
> The main reason I haven't been touching this part is because I've
> written a new Velocity component in the new xwiki architecture and
> I'd  like to replace our current velocity code with it. The
> component is in  xwiki-core/xwiki-velocity if you want to have a look.
>
> My idea would be to provide component configuration that allows
> users  to add any bean they want to the velocity context.
>
> WDYT?

Nice.

 I looked in xwiki-velocity and was not able to figure: what is it. Now
understood that it is just not finished ;)

 Functionality you tell about is exactly a ToolManager in VelocityTools 2.0:
it read class name from configuration, get through reflection annotation
'DefaultKey', than add tool to context (in application scope).

I guess, that you have implementation plan like next:

Step 1.

1.1. add to VelocityManager  method 'createContext' (or initialize existing
context), which will create
1.2. call VelocityManager.createContext from VelocityRendere.prepareContext()

  (it's means that classes must be moved to xwiki-core package ?)

1.3. add configure method to VelocityManager, which will read name of classes
and keys from some property or configuration (and may be, if key is not
configurated -- use some analog of DefaultKey annotation, which we than change
to org.apache.velocity.tools.config.DefualtKey when VelocityTools-2.0 will be
released)

 release this as snapshot.

Step 2.

4. for plugins: may be velocity-aware plugins want to add some objects or
macroses to default velocity context, than add velocity context initialization
callback to plugin interface.

 release this as snapshot.

And what a time frame ?  Can I help in something ? (for example by writing
1.1,1.2,1.3 and submitting a patch)