Hi Guillaume,

In the ancient days before xwiki we used to checkout a project from version
control (Telelogic Synergy) into the file system.
To access it from Web we put the base directory under apache htdocs using
directory navigation feature provided by apache server.

The major drawback was/is
- no access control (ok htaccess - not realy maintainable in our case)
- no possibility to add meta data like version, author e.a. from version control
- no special filters on file types (e.g. only show office documents for project
a (separate directory structure), all documents for project b (separate
directory structure)

My first idea is to provide a plugin to access filesystem starting from a
root-directory and generate a tree like structure.
On top of this I can provide a filter mechanism and adding meta data to the
display.

It should look something like this:
http://mywiki/xwiki/bin/ProjectA/ContentFromVersionControl
(Page content)
This page contains detailed data from project myspecialProject~jgellien from
Synergy repository myrepo:

  myspecialProject~jgellien
   |-----doc
   |      |- myDescription.doc (version: 1.0, last changed: jgellien)
   |      |- more docs to come (version: 1.1, last changed: jgellien)
   |      |-subdir
             |- projectplan.xls (version: 1.1, last modified: jgellien)

The documentation is directly maintained inside version control with a
predefined directory structure.
This structure should be preserved in the presentation layer.
Updating the documentation could be done with a chron job.

Perhaps this goes into the direction of WebDav and ViewVC but I am no expert on
this field.

Do you have any advise how to proceed?
Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards

Joerg
Jörg Gellien
Otto Group
Systementwickler · Software Qualitätsmanagement und Synergy Administration ·
IL-BI-ZA
Otto (GmbH & Co KG) · Wandsbeker Straße 3-7 · 22172 Hamburg
Telefon +49 (0) 40 64 61 5691 · Fax +49 (0) 40 64 64 5691
[EMAIL PROTECTED] · www.ottogroup.com
AG Hamburg, HRA 62024, Persönlich haftend: Verwaltungsgesellschaft
Otto mbH, Hamburg, AG Hamburg, HRB 13762
vertreten durch: Hans-Otto Schrader  (Vorsitzender) · Dr. Rainer Hillebrand
(Stellvertretender Vorsitzender) · Alexander Birken ·
Dr. Willi Darr · Diethard Gagelmann · Peter Gelsdorf · Dr. Wolfgang Linder ·
Jürgen Schulte-Laggenbeck · Dr. Winfried Zimmermann
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. h.c. Werner Otto (Ehrenvorsitzender) · Dr. Michael Otto
(Vorsitzender)

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:59:04 +0100
From: "Guillaume Lerouge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Display directory tree under xwiki
enterprose 1.3
To: "XWiki Users" <users@xwiki.org>
Hi Jorg,
> first of all thanks for this new great release of XWiki Enterprise
> 1.3. I am on the list for about 6 weeks now and it is a real pleasure
> to see the flow of work done here.

Thanks :-)

> Now to my topic for today.
> To setup a departmental wiki I have the requirement to display a
> directory structure with download option from within a wiki page. We
> use version control system to archive documentation for specific
> projects. In most cases these are office documents (doc, xls,ppt) but
> might be other formats as well.
>
> Does anyone allready has a solution for this requirement?
> For me it is no option to link these documents manually as
> attachments. Furthermore I like to use the rights system to restrict
> access to the tree.
>
> Hope I made myself clear.

Not quite. I didn't understand this :
- Where will your files be stored -> in an external system or as
attachments to a wiki page ?
- If your files are stored in an external system and you want to
provide access to them from the wiki, you need to tell us what system this
is (there is some work going on with WebDav or SVN integration for instance)
- If your files are stored in your wiki -> then it is quite easy
to generate a list of all the files attached to a given wiki page on that
page itself. It will save you the time of having to edit the page to add a
link towards new files every time you upload one.
Thanks,
Guillaume