I'm facing the same issue on my Java 1.6 and Tomcat 6 installation (and
XWiki 1.4 on fresh Ubuntu 8.04 Server(s)). On my Java 1.5 and Tomcat5.5
installation (XWiki 1.3) this happened only once and I guess that was when I
uploaded huge pictures to the webalbum, other than that it runs smooth.

So maybe it's Java 1.6 or Tomcat 6 or the combination....?