Joe wrote:
> On 1.4.1 I've been noticing some odd results from the wysiwyg.
> When editing, some folks have found that data is "lost" (it's actually
> there, but because the wysiwyg editor didn't render the text, on next
> edit+save combination the text is lost perminantly).
>
> Also, at random times:
> --bullet points are moving about (next line, previous line, etc when it's
> showing as on the right line in edit mode.
> --A textbox gets put around the text, making it harder to edit (only way I
> can explain it, it's like in Word when you put a textbox into the document).
> I'm still trying to lock down a repeatable case around those two.
>
> The really sick part, is that when you're in edit mode it always "kinda"
> looks right.  Not quite, depending on the text, but almost. I am still
> trying to reproduce some other issues I've been informed of, which have a
> lower priority at this point.
>
> Using Firebug reveals a bunch of inserted <div>'s at each bullet point ONLY
> under certain conditions (for example, when you select text and bullet it
> without starting from "fresh") - removing these <div> tags (again, with
> firebug) shows that they're causing the majority of bullet point issues.
>
> 1: Is this perhaps why we are losing data as well?  Random tags getting put
> in that are hidden - and then when the wysiwyg editor tries to render it as
> wikitext, it doesn't "see" that text?
> 2: Failing all else, how do I return to v1.1 wysiwyg editor?  As it stands,
> I have a blanket refusal by users to use the wiki system until this is
> resolved - rolling back to an older released version is not really an
> option, if we can roll back the wysiwyg editor and the problems it is
> causing, I could salvage the bulk of issues.

This is the main reason why we're trying to write a new WYSIWYG editor from
scratch and dump the
current tinyMCE-based one: lack of stability. The editor is not meant to be
heavy customized, as it
becomes very fragile. While trying to fix some bug, we're introducing lots of
other bugs we're not
aware of. We can't know what has changed and why is something failing without
many hours of debug,
and even if we manage to spot the problem and try to fix it, we'll probably
break something else.

To revert the editor only, you can checkout the sources from
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xwiki-platform/web/tags/xwiki-web-1.1.2/standard/src/main/webapp/
and replace the tiny_mce and wiki_editor directories from the running wiki with
the ones from the
SVN. Be sure to make a backup first, so that you can revert if something goes
wrong.
--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/